Oldham Metropolitan Borough Council (OMBC)
Heavy and prolonged spells of rain were causing flooding to homes in Oldham because of the run-off of water from a farm on high ground, through an adopted road and an industrial estate.
Unity Partnership was asked, to provide a solution to protect residents’ homes without affecting major utilities assets running underground.
- Securing funding via the Environment Agency (EA) through the development and presentation of a business case.
- Carrying out preliminary and detailed designs, including scheme drawings and flood modelling and liaising with the
- Statutory Undertakers regarding diversion of their assets.
- Determining and following the most appropriate procurement route for this specific job and carrying out full costing to ensure we met the funding budget.
- Delivering a programme of work which included kerb drains diverting water underground to a point where it could flow naturally, without causing disruption or damage to either properties or highways.
These proactive works have:
- Taken an innovative approach to run the drainage underground, above the utilities assets, rather than diverting the utilities assets, saving our client approximately £75,000.
- Reduced the risk of unplanned financial expenditure on litigation and more costly remedial works in the area.
- Reduced the risk of reputational damage to our Client that would have been caused by litigation in relation to flooding of residential and business properties in this area.
- Enhanced the road surface, preventing accidents due to ice developing on the road surface.