We work with our clients to plan and implement measures to reduce congestion on road networks. Our coordinated approach means we have the lowest average durations for minor and standard works and second lowest for emergency works in Greater Manchester. Overall the figures show our commitment to keeping work durations low thus reducing congestion to enable easier business, vehicle and pedestrian movements.
In Oldham, we:
- Record electronically all activities which require occupation of the highway, including utility and local authority works.
- Use Greater Manchester Road Application Permit Scheme (GMRAPS) to issue and manage permits, to ensure better co-ordination of the network.
- Have developed and use robust monitoring systems for permits to reduce disruption and make sure work follows the latest Department for Transport (DfT) advice.
- Maintain a ‘living-portfolio’ of legislative, ICT and other key information, to support work associated with GMRAPS and NRSWA (New Roads and Street Work Act) using our close working relationship Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM) and other stakeholders.
- Inspect approximately 60% of all works and where work falls outside the permit or is not to the required standard, we capture this, issue an appropriate charge in the form of a Fixed Penalty Notice and follow-through for payment.
We provide advice to regional advisory panels and groups, including the Greater Manchester FPN Advisory Panel, Greater Manchester Authorities Inspection Group, Greater Manchester Permit Group and the Association of Greater Manchester Authorities (AGMA) Asset Protection Services Framework Group to share good practice, expert guidance and ultimately pass onto our clients.
Our strong relationships with utilities companies and earned a reputation for being fair, transparent and approachable through regular coordination and engagement meetings.